The Historic Candler Property is located on 1.54 acres in the historic district of downtown Savannah. The site contains four contiguous buildings totaling approximately 123,000 sqft and is immediately adjacent to the city’s prominent Forsyth Park. Historically a hospital, the first structure was completed in 1819, with additions following in 1944, 1952 and 1967. The site has substantial parking capacity on the east and west sides, and the “Candler Oak”, a 300 year old Live Oak, reportedly one of the oldest living trees in Georgia, resides on the site.
The property is a community icon and a notable feature on historic tours of Savannah. Candler served as both a confederate hospital and a barracks during the Union army’s 1864 occupation, and until 1984 was oldest hospital in continual use in the United States. The property was re-development using federal and historic tax credits and is currently occupied by John Marshall Law School.